TB Drugs and Diagnostics Shortages
To support TB programs coping with shortages, we have asked TB controllers to share tools they have developed. The NTCA does not endorse or recommend a specific approach but shares these as illustrations of how your colleagues have responded to the challenge of shortages. Feel free to review these examples and adapt them to best meet the specifics of your state and program.
If you have a form, guidance statement, or other tool to share, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. These resources are intended to assist and support you in your work.
Tubersol® and Aplisol®
On August 12, 2013, the CDC emailed TB programs about Continuing Shortages of Tuberculin Skin Test Antigens, referring to recommendations issued in the article National Shortage of Purified-Protein Derivative Tuberculin Products published in the MMWR on April 26, 2013.
Below are samples of guidance issued by states during shortages of the purified protein derivatives (PPDs) used in tuberculin skin testing.
- California: Tubersol in Limited Supply (August 9, 2013)
- California: Recommendations for Responding to Shortage of TB Skin Test Antigens (August 14, 2013)
- Delaware: Delaware Division of Public Health Alert
- Delaware: TB Symptom Screening Questionnaire
- Delaware: Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Tuberculin Shortage
- Georgia: Guidance to Health Providers for Tuberculosis (TB) Screening during Tubersol® Shortage
- Indiana: Recommendations for Implementation of the Indiana State Department of Health’s Tuberculin Shortage Guidelines for Acute and Long Term Care Facilities in the State of Indiana (September 20, 2013)
- Kansas: Recommendations for the Use of Tuberculin during the Nationwide PPD Shortage (Updated June 2013)
- Kansas: Further Guidance during the Nationwide PPD Shortage (July 9, 2013)
- Kansas: Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Tuberculin Shortage (Updated July 11, 2013)
- Kansas: Tuberculosis Symptom Screening Questionnaire: Deferral of TB Skin Test During the National PPD Shortage
- Kansas: Recorded Conference Call Regarding the Nationwide PPD Shortage (July 11, 2013)
- Maryland: Recommendations Regarding the National Shortage of Purified Protein Derivative (PPD) Solution; Attachment to Health Officer Memorandum National Shortages of Tubersol® and Aplisol® for TB Skin Testing (April 2013)
- Massachusetts: Advisory: Nationwide Shortage of Tuberculin Skin Test Antigens: Recommendations for Patient Care and Occupational Health Testing (August 27, 2013)
- Minnesota: Tuberculin Shortage web page with Recommendations for the Use of Tuberculin During the Nationwide Shortage (April 17, 2013; Updated August 29, 2013)
- Nevada: Technical Bulletin: Alternate Approaches to TB Screening during Tuberculin Shortage: Notice Regarding Tuberculin Shortage for Tuberculosis Screening (July 12, 2013; Updated August 6, 2013)
- North Carolina: TB Screening Algorithm During Tuberculin Shortage (November 12, 2013)
- Oregon: TB ALERT: Resolved Isoniazid (INH) Shortage, Continuing Shortages of Aplisol® and Tubersol® (Updated July 9, 2013)
- Virginia: Guidance for Use of Purified Protein Derivative (PPD) Solution during the National Shortage (April 10, 2013)